Tuesday, January 16, 2018
Joomla Templates and Joomla Extensions by JoomlaVision.Com

Sherea Vitelli

Experienced attorney in the areas of family law, criminal defense, civil litigation, estate administration, and D.W.I.

Enforcement FAQ

Enforcement FAQ

  1. My ex is not paying the medical bills he was ordered to pay, can I file an enforcement for payment?

    Yes, but make sure that the order you are trying to enforce is clear on how payment should be made. 

  2. My ex is not paying child support, can I file an enforcement?

    Yes.  Child support along with medical reimbursement are the most common enforcements filed in family courts.  You can also file for possession and access to your children.

  3. Is there a waiting period in filing an enforcement?

    Generally, no.  If the person is violating the order, it is best to file immediately.  However, here at the Vitelli Law Firm, we are very cognizant of our clients financial interest.  If your ex is behind in child support, we make sure that it is a size able amount.  In plain terms, we would not suggest filing a $5000 law suit to recover $2000 in back child support.  Wait it out a little to see if payment is made.  Once the payments exceed $5000 it is then suggested to file and enforcement.

  4. Can my attorney ask that my ex pay my attorney fees for me having to sue him/her to enforce our divorce decree? Absolutely!

    At the Vitelli Law Firm, we always ask for attorney fees to be paid by the other party.

  5. Will I be required to attend mediation during my enforcement?

    Potentially yes.  Most courts require mediation to settle the issues out of court prior to any final hearing.

DISCLAIMER: This website is designed to provide educational information only and is not intended to be a substitute for legal advice.  Every case is unique and every outcome will vary depending on the facts and legal issues of the case.  You should not make any decisions about any legal matters without consulting an attorney first.  The use of this information on this website does not form an attorney/client relationship with the Vitelli Law Firm or its attorneys.  You are invited to contact The Vitelli Law Firm via telephone, fax, or email; however, please be cautious when transmitting confidential information over the internet.



Brown Blue Orange